Friday, December 10, 2010

University of Utah department to citizens: Shut up. Don't complaint to us.

Come to find out KUER is actually a department of the University of Utah.

In a previous post here I made note of their general manager, John Greene, who sent an email asking that I stop contacting his station. Well, come to find out, his station is merely a department of the University of Utah.

---------------

Here's a copy of the email I sent to John Greene, station manager of KUER, also the department head of KUER, a department of the University:

To: John Greene <jgreene@kuer.org>
Cc: cdunn@media.utah.edu, becky.riley@utah.edu, LDOWNEY@MEDIA.UTAH.EDU, president@utah.edu, liz.mccoy@utah.edu, remi@ucomm.utah.edu

[December 9, 2010]

To the University of Utah, the licensee of radio station call letters KUER.

-------------------

To Mr. Greene, station manager.

Cc: Related parties & officers at the University.

Regarding: U.S. Constitution, First Amendment, and also U.S. Title 47, Section 73.1202  Retention of letters received from the public, and Section 73.3527 Local public inspection file of noncommercial educational.

Dear Mr. Greene,

KUER is a part of the University of Utah. The University of Utah is a part of the State of Utah. The State of Utah is a part of the United States.

I refer you to the following wikipedia article relating to the Federal Constitution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_petition_in_the_United_States

I ask that you not send to me emails asking that I stop exercising my rights as a citizen and tax payer of the US & of Utah.

As KUER is a de facto and in fact government entity and an arm of the government, you must be prepared to receive comments from the citizenry regarding serious concerns citizens may have regarding your programming decisions.

Also the FCC states that you must be prepared to receive comments about your programming. Your station, in addition to being a part of the State of Utah, is a Federal Communications Commission licensee. Here is a link to the relevant FCC rules Mr. Greene:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/decdoc/public_and_broadcasting.html#_Toc202587598

Here is a quote from the FCC on this matter:

"...Comments to Stations and Networks.  If you feel the need to do so, we encourage you to write directly to station management or to network officials to comment on their broadcast service..."

Also as an FYI, all emails you send to me will be publicly published, especially to interest groups which relate to the mixing of church and state, which in my view is what KUER is doing now, and which I am trying to get you to stop doing.

My tax dollars which go to support the U of U and indirectly & directly to KUER are going to support religious programs on KUER.

If you have a cogent response other than "please do not exercise your rights under the Constitution," then I'm ready to hear. But in the mean time, with all due respect, I'll continue to follow the constitution in this matter, and to exercise my rights to address MY government with grievances I happen to have with what you all are doing with my tax money, and with my franchise as a citizen.

I feel that my rights are being violated by your station and your university - my right to have a separation of church and state. And as long as KUER remains a part of the State of Utah, the University of Utah, and the government indirectly & directly, then I'll continue acting as a citizen in this matter and I'll continue acting within my rights.

I encourage you to personally contact the FCC to see if station listeners have a right to comment about station operation & programming. And I encourage you to personally contact the Freedom from Religion Foundation and Americans United for the Separation of Church State, as these advocacy groups can provide more details to you about your duties as a defacto and in fact government employee & public radio station manager.

The legal name of the KUER broadcast station licensee is the University of Utah, as per
http://www.kuer.org/docs/mkform.hts.htm
and
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=69171

The call letters KUER are licensed by the FCC to the University of Utah.

Thus, as a government employee & representative, I expect you to offer proper respect when citizens attempt to exercise their rights under the federal constitution.

I feel my rights are being severely violated by the presence of two programs on KUER which I feel are religious advocacy programs, as per my own listening, and as per the related concerns by one nobel prize winning scientist, several other scientists, noted philosophers who have high concerns about the key funding source involved, and other citizens who I've found who also have concerns about the programs & funding sources involved. Details & extensive links about these other people who have serious concerns about the specifics in this case have already been shared.

I will continue to exercise my rights under the constitution. KUER is not just a mere radio station. The programs you put on are not merely just for a person to listen to or not to listen to. What you put on the air has a direct connection to the University of Utah, and to the State of Utah, and thus to my government. And as a citizen I'll continue exercising my rights. It may be inconvenient for you to receive comments from the citizenry, even when those comments are backed up with key comments from nobel prize winners and highly noted scientists with a lifetime of experience in science & Enlightenment-era advocacy. But as a government employee, and as an FCC licensee, it's your job to receive such comments and to respond with respect, dignity, and honor.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Higbee

No comments:

Post a Comment